Are you torn between choosing lab diamonds vs mined diamonds? In this article, we explain the pros and cons of each – including quality, price and whether you can tell the difference between the two – so you can decide which one is best for you.
Are lab and mined diamonds the same or different?
They are the same. Mined diamonds and lab diamonds are both real diamonds. They are exactly alike optically, physically and chemically.
Main difference lab and mined diamonds?
The main difference between lab and mined diamonds is their origin:
- Mined diamonds have been extracted from the Earth. They were created by Mother Nature from carbon atoms subjected to intense volcanic heat and pressure deep underground more than 3 billion years ago.
- Lab grown diamonds are grown by scientists in a laboratory. They are created from a tiny shard of a mined diamond which is introduced to carbon atoms, under conditions which replicate the volcanic forces of Mother Nature.
Are lab diamonds “fake diamonds”?
No, lab diamonds are not fake diamonds. Sometimes people confuse lab grown diamonds with simulants like cubic zirconia, which are not diamonds.
But this is not the case with lab diamonds. Lab diamonds are, simply, diamonds.
Can you tell the difference by looking at the two?
No, you cannot tell the difference between a lab grown diamond and a mined diamond by looking at them.
Therefore, to protect consumers by offering total disclosure, lab grown diamonds must be branded with a microscopic laser mark to distinguish them from mined diamonds.
You cannot see this mark with your naked eye, but a jeweller will be able to see it with specialist magnifying equipment.
Are lab grown diamonds cheaper?
Yes, lab grown diamonds are more affordable than mined diamonds, giving you up to 50% more carats for your budget.
Having said that, most people wouldn’t consider the price of lab grown diamonds “cheap” because:
- Even a small lab diamond jewellery item can still cost hundreds of pounds
- Lab diamond production is complex and challenging, and there’s a substantial cost involved
- Lab diamond jewellery is set in precious metals like gold or platinum, which have a high cost
Are lab grown diamonds sustainable and ethical?
Yes, lab grown diamonds are not extracted from the ground, which makes them more sustainable and ethical than mined diamonds.
- Therefore, in terms of protecting local environments, we can conclude that lab grown diamonds are environmentally sustainable.
- For the same reason, they are also socially ethical, because nothing or no one was harmed during their production.
Lab diamond production does use a lot of electricity, though, so there is room for sustainability improvement.
Does this make mined diamonds “unethical”?
No. As long as you are buying mined diamonds from a reputable jeweller that abides by the Kimberley Process, your diamonds are ethical in the sense that they are conflict-free.
Which has better quality?
Mined diamonds and lab diamonds are quality-graded by gemmologists in exactly the same way using the Four Cs – Cut, Colour, Clarity and Carat weight.
Therefore, your diamond will simply be graded at the quality it has, for example Premium Quality, H/Si or E/Vs.
Having said that, since lab diamonds are more affordable than mined diamonds per carat, you’ll usually be able to access a much better diamond quality for your budget if you buy a lab grown.
Price comparison example lab diamond VS mined diamond
Here’s a price comparison between two rings. They’re exactly the same, except that the first one is made with mined diamonds and the second one with lab grown.
Both diamonds’ quality grades are the same (and certified as such by an independent gemmological authority). Both rings are set in 18K white gold.
As you can see, the lab grown diamond ring is about £400 cheaper than the equivalent mined diamond ring.*
*Prices quoted correctly at the time of publishing and may change at any time
Are lab grown diamonds better?
“Better” is very subjective. It’s like cars. If someone asks you if an Aston Martin or a Ferrari is better, your answer would depend on your individual requirements, personal taste and budget.
It is the same with lab grown diamonds and mined diamonds.
You can decide which is better for you by reading the following pros and cons…
Mined diamonds – pros and cons:
- Simply beautiful to look at and last a lifetime
- A rare luxury created by Mother Nature, which awards a perceived “status” to the buyer
- A finite resource that will run out one day, which increases the perceived value
- More expensive than lab diamonds
- If you are concerned by the environmental or social effects of diamond mining on local communities, then mined diamonds are not the ideal choice for you
Lab diamonds – pros and cons
- Simply beautiful to look at and last a lifetime
- More affordable than mined diamonds
- Environmentally sustainable and socially ethical, which is appealing if you are concerned about the effects of mining on local environments and communities
- A rare “high tech luxury”, which has a perceived “status”, especially to Millenial and Gen Z buyers
- Grown in a laboratory instead by Mother nature, which lacks perceived “status” to some buyers
A word about “resale value”
There has been much talk about what will happen to the resale value of lab diamonds in the future. Many naysayers assert that the value of lab diamonds begins to fall from the moment of purchase, and therefore you’re better off with mined diamonds.
While this may be true, it really only concerns buyers who purchase diamonds for investment purposes. These types of buyers usually invest in very high end, collectable pieces or loose diamonds, not personal gift jewellery.
Most people buying an engagement ring or gift jewellery would be appalled by the idea of the wearer selling their personal, meaningful jewellery item later on. So “resale value” is not a vital consideration in this case.
Conclusion: Lab Diamonds vs Mined Diamonds
Both lab diamonds and mined diamonds are beautiful and luxurious, and will give you joy and wear for a lifetime.
On the one hand, if you want something luxurious created by Mother Nature, then you should choose mined diamonds.
On the other, if you want a sustainable and affordable piece of luxury, then lab grown diamonds are perfect for you. Either way, you now have a world of choice!
Shop mined diamonds and lab diamonds
Sparkling, beautiful certified diamonds to suit your lifestyle
View a lab diamond ring on video:
View a mined diamond ring on video:
Lab Diamonds vs Mined Diamonds originally appeared via news.thediamondstore.co.uk